A magnificent Eary Antique 19th century Howard & Sons deep seated open armchair circa 1860 Fully Restord and covered with authentic style H&S ticking.
This original armchair is of typical form raised on square tapering legs with brass caps and castors. The frame is stamped (see images for reference), upholstered in a stunning upholstery carrying the Howard and Sons monogram the tapering mahogany front supports and rear leg, numbered. An absolute wonderful example.
Measurements: H 70CM X W 79CM X D 78CM
Background: Howard and Sons
The name of Howard and Sons is probably one of the best known and highly sought after names in upholstered furniture.
The company was started by John Howard in 1820 trading from 24 Leman St, London as a Cabinet Maker. Over the next 25 years they would make several changes of premises within the Whitechapel area. First to 27 Great Alie St (Now just Alie St) before moving a short distance to 34 Great Alie St.
In 1844 the company made its first venture into upholstered furniture by opening a showroom/workshop at 36 Red lion St. This was also to be a big move towards what would be their next and most famous location.
In 1848 they moved to a new address much more accustomed with the name; Berners St. London as “Cabinet Maker, Upholsterer and Decorator” under the name John Howard and Sons.
By 1872 the company was occupying 25, 26 and 27 Berners St.
By 1854 he was established in the heart of the West End at 22 and 36 Berners Street. The firm grew to become one of the most fashionable and successful of the 19th century, participating in many of the International Exhibitions for the remainder of the century.
They employed their eclectic styles working for many important clients providing furniture for important houses such as Sudbury Hall in Derbyshire, Elton Hall, Huntingdonshire and Stokesay Court, Shropshire. Still fashionable at the close of the century, in 1893 they provided the fittings for Mr Vanderbilt's yacht
In 1935 the well established decorators Lenygon and Morant appear to take over the name with the business address being given as 31 Old Burlington St (Lenygon and Morants premesis since 1909). Lenygon and Morant later moved to South Audley St where from 1954 they advertised as 'Makers of Howard Chairs and Sofas’. In 1967 the owners of Lenygon and Morant open Howard Chairs Limited, the company operating from Lyme St continue to make high quality sofas and armchairs
It is believed that Queen Elizabeth II has the largest private collection of Howard & Sons chairs in the world.
Fully Restored Howard & Sons's Original Open Armchair 1860
Shipping and delivery to the UK, EU and Worldwide is possible, contact us for a quote. We can then allocate an appropriate carrier to ensure your purchase arrives with you in tip top condition.
International tax and import duties levied locally are the responsibility of the buyer.